A Travellerspoint blog

Antarctica Day 3 - February 4th

You keep thinking it couldn't possible get any better than this, and then it does!!

semi-overcast 35 °F
View Patagonia and Antarctica on Baroni's travel map.

Sunday, February 4th

Just when you think it can’t possibly get any better, it does!

We woke up this morning to a third day in Antarctica with a bit of sun and gradually becoming overcast. I was feeling a little lightheaded this morning and the first excursion was to be our most difficult and rocky landing, so I considered staying behind. I rested a bit and then got up and decided it was worth a try and I am so glad that I did.

We arrived at Palaver Point which is on the west side of Two Hummock Island in the Palmer Archipelago. The name arose because this site has a large chinstrap penguin colony and their ceaseless chatter resembled the “profuse and idle discussion denoted by the word, “palaver”.

We did this landing in two phases with half of the passengers including us on the first run and then the 2nd once we started to return to the ship so they could have a lot of staff on shore to help with the rocky landing and getting us out of the Zodiacs. The Chinstrap Penguins were amazing, and I will post a few photos, but the best part was a video I was able to capture of two adults feeding their chicks! We had a circle trail in the snow, but the ice was dry, and the climb was relatively easy.

Both Michael and I made the whole loop successfully and loved every moment of our time there. Again, I can’t believe our good fortune to be able to have this amazing opportunity of a lifetime – and the weather has even surprised the staff because of our smooth sailing, amazing whales, penguins, and seals!


This afternoon's excursion will be Zodiac cruises to see more of the stunning icebergs in the area -- it is like being in a modern art museum or glass sculpture exhibit with the way nature provides the color and textures to the icebergs. They have been breathtakingly stunning!

Our second excursion was also great with some amazing icebergs and glaciers. Upon our return, it was clear that the weather was changing and we were informed that a big storm was coming in tomorrow. Our Captain made the decision to head back to Drake’s Passage tonight and try to stay ahead of the storm. As I write, the winds are howling and we are beginning to rock and roll and we are still in protected waters so we fully agree with the decision! We have had three amazing days and heading home now makes sense. Will do our best to keep you posted!!


Posted by Baroni 23:49 Archived in Antarctica

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

Comments on this blog entry are now closed to non-Travellerspoint members. You can still leave a comment if you are a member of Travellerspoint.